Saturday, August 4, 2012

Putters Sports Grill


                In the midst of the recent (or most recent I should say) heat wave, Josh was off with some friends and I was up in the northeast part of the city meeting with some folks to discuss a project. One of them suggested that we meet at Putters Sports Grill and since I had never been there before, I thought it would be a great opportunity to not only discusses some potential business but to add an entry into the food blog.
                There are now three locations of Putters: Liberty Township, Maineville and Milford. The Milford location had been the one selected but I was told by a semi-regular at one of the others that they were all very similar.
                It is hard to not say that Putters is a typical sports bar but at the same time, it’s hard to classify this place as typical. With a huge dining room filled with the requisite flat screens tuned to every imaginable sports channel and walls littered with sports related memories, it could fit into any sports café mold. But one look at the extensive menu offering everything from your obligatory wings and burgers to an extensive salad selection and even complete family style dinners pushes this more toward a standard definition of a restaurant.
The Burger
                While there are a vast number of options on the menu, I was there for one thing and one thing only: a burger. I’ll be perfectly honest that it took me a pass or two over the menu to find the burger among the wealth of possibilities. Even finding it there are a number or burgers to choose from but as always, keeping in step with this blog, I chose your everyday regular burger with American cheese.
                Served on a fresh and quite tasty sweet brioche roll with an equally fresh garden, the thing that really jumped out at me on my first bite was that not only could I taste the mean but also the grill. Cooked on a standard but obviously seasoned flattop, the maestro behind my burger charred up the edges just enough to give me a hint of flavor. That I liked. I’m not sure if every cook there does that but if not, they should.
                With each burger you are given the option of paying an extra buck and a quarter for fries, onion rings or onion straws but I stuck with the homemade Saratoga chips and I’m glad I did. A little thick, very crisp and with a side of barbeque sauce in which to dip, they were the perfect complement to this burger.
                On the sign to Putters, above the name and logo, they have the phrase “No mulligans here.” For those who aren’t into golf, a mulligan is essentially a do over, when you shank a shot so poorly that your partners feel sorry for you and let you hit again. Well, the burger I got at Putters lived up to that phrase. No mulligan needed.
                If you’re near any of the three Putters I would recommend stopping in and checking them out for yourself. I’ll probably go back and try one of their other meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment