Saturday, May 19, 2012

Izzy's


                Izzy’s has been a deli tradition in the Tri-State for over 100 years. In fact, it was 1901 when the Kadetz family opened the first Kosher deli west of the Allegany’s. Now with multiple locations throughout the area, Izzy’s can also be found on line at http://www.izzys.com/.
                While Izzy’s is a great deli, it isn’t the Stage or Katz or even the Stage Door, staples and pillars of New York’s deli tradition. But, with a killer corned beef and Rueben’s that have been featured on cooking shows, Izzy’s, with their bowl of pickles brought to your table and delicious potato pancakes, is always worth visiting for a tasty meal.
Burger
                Recently my daughter and I were off doing some combination birthday and Mother’s Day shopping and decided to stop into Izzy’s. Since I had never had their burger before I thought I’d forego the Joe Walter special and try the Izzy Burger.
                I wish I hadn’t.
                Let me first explain that I really like Izzy’s food. From the sandwiches to the wraps and of course the potato pancakes, I have tried most of the menu and enjoyed it all. The burger, though, unlike the rest of the food, is not nearly as fresh or tasty.
                The burger itself has obviously been frozen. The quarter pound patty has been seasoned, probably by the manufacturer, with a number of spices that are most likely designed to hide this fact. The problem is, neither the spices nor the bland flavor of the burger could sway my taste buds. This is not a good burger.
                Resting on a Kaiser roll with fresh garden, you can see that the meat has been processed and frozen. Biting into it actually reminded me of the “burgers” we use to get in school when I was a kid. Seriously, this is not good.
                I wholeheartedly recommend visiting Izzy’s for lunch or even dinner. Just don’t waste your time with the Izzy burger. This is one of the worst burgers I’ve ever had at a restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment