Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Lucky Dog Grille

                It was a rainy Thursday in March and I was on my way to get my taxes done for the year. Josh was off in school, besides, he wouldn’t want to endure a trip to the accountant, at least not until he was older. Besides, as a small business owner I generally am not a fan of the entire tax process.
                Actually, Fred, my tax guy, has been doing my taxes for years and before him it was his mother and father. Fred is very good at what he does. A good friend of mine was complaining some 10 years ago about how much money he was going to have to probably pay in taxes and I turned him onto Fred. Suffice it to say that he and his wife got their first refund in years and that they have been using Fred ever since.
                But because of the timing for my morning client meeting and my appointment with Fred, I had time to kill around the lunch hour and, being hungry, I sought out a burger joint. What I found was The Lucky Dog Grille. Located at 729 Reading Rd. in Mason (and on the web at http://www.luckydoggrille.com/), the Lucky Dog is actually nestled in a small strip mall that I passed the first time I went by. Going back I’m glad I found it.
                Though on this inclement day there wasn’t much of a late lunch crowd, the place had a really good neighborhood vibe. Decked out in typical sports bar chic, it appears to do a good business on the weekends. It has received mixed reviews and from what I can read into them it appears that the biggest problem is poor service when it is busy (along with some folks who said the food was tasteless).
                My experience was, for the most part, rather good. It would have been a bit pricy for this level of restaurant had it not been one of the numerous lunch menu specials. The bartender doubled as my server and she was fast and friendly, getting my drink order before I even sat down and bringing over the menu and making some suggestions right away.
The Burger
                What I knew I was going to get walking in was a burger to review. I was happy to see that they offer up a build your own burger and so I chose the one third pound Classic burger with provolone cheese and a garden that included nice crispy lettuce, sliced dill pickle and an actual juicy tomato, which can be hard to find in March.
                It didn’t take long for the burger to arrive with a side of chips. The burger I ordered was off the lunch specials menu and, while I could have dropped a buck to substitute fries, keep in mind I was heading off to see my tax guy and hear what the IRS was going to rape me for this time around.
The flavor of the meat came through and was accentuated by the other ingredients. Nothing overpowered what should always be the centerpiece of a good burger, and that’s the meat. As I noted earlier the garden was fresh and even the chips weren’t bad, for basic barbeque potato chips.
This meal would have been a bit pricy for this level of restaurant had it not been one of the numerous lunch menu specials. I may have felt a little differently about the meal had I paid regular price and not gotten such good service but for a five dollar lunch, including my soft drink, I can’t complain.
Oh, and I got some good news when Fred managed to do his magic and the feds have to pay me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment