Saturday, April 2, 2011

Steak 'n Shake


                While the intent of this blog has never been to hit up the chains, sometimes circumstances dictate that as a necessity. So if you’re going to have to munch that burger at a chain, why not a good one. Steak ‘n Shake was founded in Normal, IL in 1934 where it was such a success that the founder, Gus Belt expanded and began opening new restaurants throughout the Midwest. “Famous for Steakburgers” is a slogan born of the practice of grinding round, sirloin and t-bone steaks up to create the burgers. You can “TakHomeaSak” from one of the more than 500 locations and they can also be found on line at http://steaknshake.com/.
Josh
            Steak ‘n Shake is a chain that has been dear to me for a good portion of my life. My first visit was back before I could even walk; my parents took me along for a trip. Ever since that day I have always loved their food, and the 50’s diner atmosphere. Steak ‘n Shake has, without a doubt, pretty fast service, good juicy burgers, and some of the best fries I have ever had. Their fries are of a surprising quality considering that Steak ‘n Shake is a chain restaurant. Combine the fires with speedy, as well as accurate, service, and you have a great restaurant. The atmosphere of the diner is accented by the constant aroma that fills the air. With the kitchen always within sight from the counter, you can tell when your food is prepared. This only helps add to the mouthwatering, and hunger that commonly fallows entering a Steak n’ Shake. Now, on to the burger, it comes made to order, well-seasoned, fresh garden, and on a toasted bun. If that can’t make a tasty burger, then I don’t know what will.
Mark
                I’ve never had a problem sitting at a table and waiting for my burger to be cooked when it’s ordered. But when you have young kids you are sometimes presented with the problem of having to get the food fast and keep them entertained during the wait. Steak ‘n Shake had always been one of my favorite “fast food” chains and proximity allowed me to take the kids when they were young. A tradition started with my kids where we would play games on the back of the place mats; mostly tic tac toe and hangman (which is a great game for young kids learning how to read and spell). Suffice it to say that I never won at tic tac toe but stopping in for a double steakburger is usually enough of a win for me.
                While it’s unfair to compare a fast food chain with some of the other burger joints on this blog, in my opinion it manages to hold its own. A thin patty of meat flat grilled within view (“in sight, it must be right”) then topped with cheese and your choice of garden and condiments before resting on a soft bun. This isn’t the greatest burger in the world but as far as a fast food chain goes, it’s right up there near the top.
                My order of choice is usually a double cheeseburger with mayo, pickle, and mustard. With an order of some of my favorite fries in the world beside it I know exactly the quality I’m getting.
                A quick word about the fries: they are shoestring cut and lightly fried until crisp. You don’t find over cooked fries here. If only these were fresh and not frozen they would be French fry heaven.
                In my opinion, compared to the other popular fast food burger chains, you can’t go wrong with a Steak ‘n Shake. TakHomaSak for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment